Module name

Jun 13, 2013 at 6:10 AM
Edited Jun 13, 2013 at 6:13 AM
I would like to suggest to make something with module name. Either, to strip module name to something like PSWSUS. Also, maybe it is reasonable to remove module name prefix from module commands. Import-Module allows you to explicitly specify custom module prefix when loading module by using -Prefix parameter. This parameter will add specified prefix to all imported command.

also, did you considered to use dedicated help file, instead of comment-based help?

Any thoughts?
Coordinator
Jun 25, 2013 at 1:22 PM
I thought about using PSWSUS but I ultimately ended up going with what was voted on my blog a while back which was the PoshWSUS prefix. I will have to give this some more though because while I do like the idea of a shorter prefix with PSWSUS, I would hate to make another name change and force people to update their scripts to accommodate that.

The idea of -Prefix would resolve any naming collisions with the WSUS Product Teams own UpdateServices module. Folks not as familiar with PowerShell may not know about it (given I could show the command line on how to do it) and may create confusion for them.

I am definately looking at using a dedicated help file as a long term goal with this module and eliminating the comment based help. But that will not be happening for a little while due to other things going on at the moment.

Thanks for the great feedback! Definately some things to think about in the future of this module.